Gilchesters' Farmhouse (600g)

Bread & Roses
£3.00 ea Gilchesters' Farmhouse (600g)

This loaf is leavened solely with a wheat levain maintained using organic white bread flour. The flour in the levain constitutes 25% of the total flour in the recipe. The remaining 75% of the flour is Gilchesters’ Organic Farmhouse flour (a high extraction flour, approximately 90% of the whole grain). This means the bread is made using largely locally grown and processed ingredients. Gilchesters grow heritage tall-stemmed organic Sativa wheat on their farm near Stamfordham. This is stoneground to flour at their own mill, the only mill to be installed in Northumberland in the last 150 years.

The Bread and Roses version of this loaf follows its more famous French cousin in many ways. It is raised using only a natural leaven. It uses a high extraction flour, milled specially from locally-produced organic wheat. Our flour is supplied by Gilchesters’ Organics; the single-strain wheat is grown and milled on the farm, near Stamfordham in Northumberland. The soft dough contains nothing else apart from flour, salt and water. Each dough piece is proved in a linen-lined basket, known as a “banneton”, before being baked directly on the sole of the oven.

TASTING NOTES - Our standard ‘brown loaf’.

ENJOY WITH - Slice it thick and load with any of your favourite sandwich fillers for the perfect lunchtime treat.

ORIGIN - The inspiration for this loaf comes from the famous and much-missed Parisian baker, Lionel Poilâne, whose family bakery offered one loaf variety at its Rue Monge baker’s shop. Miche meaning “a big round loaf”, usually weighs between 1.2 and 2.4kg, and was offered for sale as a full loaf, or in halves, or quarters, which were cut in the shop as the customers tucked into the gorgeous little shortbread biscuit fancies with the compliments of M. Poilâne.

Ingredients:

Gilchesters’ Organic Farmhouse Flour [WHEAT], Marriage’s Organic Strong White Flour [WHEAT], Salt, Diastatic Barley Malt Powder [BARLEY]

Any ingredients classed as Allergens are shown in BOLD CAPITALS. Due to our manufacturing processes our products may contain traces of allergenic ingredients and should therefore not be consumed by those who suffer from food allergies. 

Your order

Already a customer? Sign in.

Everything that an impersonal, corporate supermarket is not. If you desire good value, organic food then we highly recommend The Paddock.

— Rachael D

I receive fortnightly deliveries of fruit and veg, plus local eggs and honey. Always great produce, and I like supporting businesses that care about the environment and reducing plastic waste.

— Janine

Get started!

Your first box is only a few clicks away. Get a box of fresh, local food in your kitchen soon, packed with care and supporting your local farmers and artisan producers.